I think Gary Hoy and I are twins (fraternal) separated at birth. We live almost as far away from each other as possible and still be in the contiguous United States. He is in Buffalo, NY and I am in Phoenix, AZ. Despite the difference in geography, we share many of the same experiences, beliefs and philosophies in sales and sales training.
Gary reached out to me last week to ask me some questions about the Success Is Voluntary website. He wanted to better serve his audience and loved what we are doing here.
The longer I talked to Gary (and it was a while… we both like to talk… lol) I felt that I had to get him in front of my SIV tribe. Gary speaks and trains sales people all over the country for fortune 500 companies and large associations. His almost singletary focus is on getting salespeople to slay their fear of prospecting/cold calls.
I will warn you, this podcast is a little longer than usual (1 hour and 8 minutes.) Did I mention both Gary and I like to talk? I believe it is the best hour you can spend this week to build your business! As I was going through my notes, I realized that the number of topics we touched on may be a new record for the SIV podcast.
As always the notes I will share with you are quick bullet points. They will make much more sense once you have listened to the podcast. Check back here in two weeks and you will find a full transcript of our conversation.
Things Gary and I Talked About
- Once you are in the pool your body adjusts
- The hockey puck
- Why Gary hates “best practices”
- Training often becomes a sanctioned respite
- Directions are meaningless to a parked car
- Why people are petrified of cold calling
- Magical scripts suck
- You need to look where your car keys are
- You can’t buy production
- All growth begins with self-awareness
- The first step is recognizing the fear
- Why we “mother hen” our business
- The law of detachment – The less you need something the easier it is to attain
- We speak with words but communicate with how we feel about those words
- In sales, failure is your friend
- The mindsets people have to change about prospecting
- How a spare tire overcomes call reluctance
- If you know your why you can endure any how
- Why “best practices” are dangerous in sales
- Even the best tactics won’t get you started
- You are never going to pop all the popcorn
- Don’t play chess with your prospect
- You must be willing to do it wrong until you get it right
- People will come 100 miles to watch you burn
- If a perfect script existed, there wouldn’t be turnover in sales
- Sales people don’t ever quit because they have too many appointments
- People who know how always work for the people who know why
- Humility is necessary to all learning
- The clear garden hose with red and blue marbles
- Motivation wears off, so does a shower
- Idea sex
- The spectator always pays for the participant
- Our love for
The Books We Talked About
As always, click on the cover to learn more.
Gary’s Incredibly Generous Offer For SIV Listeners
Gary has agreed (with a little coercion from yours truly) to discount his incredibly valuable training titled The 5 Phases Of Appointment Setting. The website address is http://www.appointmentu.com/ The usual price for his class is $197. Gary allowed me to go through the entire curriculum prior to his podcast appearance. I wanted to make sure it was the real deal. It is! Trust me! I have been doing this for 22+ years and a learned at Ton! As $197 it would be worth every penny. Gary slashed the price to $107 just for us! The coupon code is podcast1 (that’s the number one at the end of the coupon code.)
Just to be clear, I am NOT receiving a penny for recommending Gary’s course. I flat out believe it will help you. Gary is offering a 100%, money back, no questions asked, refund if you don’t feel the training helped you.