Just a quick note, Dave and I are not related.
Dave was introduced to me by my friend, and past podcast guest, Gary Hoy.
When I called to introduce myself and invite him on, our conversation lasted almost an hour. It was very clear that Dave is an expert in the banking world and what he does.
What We Talked About
- How Dave got hired into the banking industry based on what he didn’t know.
- What he calls “Happy Accidents.”
- No one says as a kid they want to be a banker (or insurance agent) when they grow up.
- Following your heart. God only gave us so many days. If there is something you really want to do, get after it.
- His companies rallying cry: Engaged, Informed and Motivated
- Strategy is great, but everyone has a great strategy and great tactics. It comes down to the people.
- Good people win.
- If I have the right people I will always beat you.
- Best way to overcome challenges – Stop whining!
- Most of us if we made a list of the 3-5 things we were worried about the most yesterday, many people of the world would aspire to have our problems.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- The good old days are good only because you survived them.
- Why we can look back and laugh at the past: It’s a movie we have already seen.
- We often think we invented tension and stress in the past few weeks.
- The things I worry about at 3 am almost never happen.
- You need some stress to grow and achieve great things.
- If you don’t have butterflies you aren’t engaged.
- Dave’s advice to people who want to move up: Do your current job with excellence.
- The stress of the new job won’t always be there.
- Everything is hard until it isn’t hard anymore.
- If anybody introduces you as an expert, go with it. Experts get paid more!
- When hiring you oftentimes need to go with your gut.
- It boils down to finding someone who really wants the job.
The Books We Talked About
Connect With Dave
You can find Dave at his website: https://www.bankmechanics.com/
Come Back Next Week
Next week we will continue this interview and you are in for a treat. We were just getting warmed up when I had to stop today’s episode!