I actually meet Ron on a fly fishing trip in New Mexico. The trip was an award for a contest we had won from our carrier at the time. We would soon become fast friends and peer mentors.
This is also one of the “lost SIV episodes” that I recorded but was unable to release during my hiatus from SIV.
In this episode Ron talked about one of our favorite subjects…. (no, not fishing) RECRUITING!
The Things We Always Seem To Talk About (Non-Recruiting)
- Freedom of time
- The law of averages
- How numbers are magical
- Why it is so important to know your numbers
- The impact we make
- Our shared love of Jim Rhone
The Things We Always Seem To Talk About (Recruiting)
- Recruiting is the lifeblood of our business
- The reason we need to recruit
- They leave
- They stay
- The 3 right kind of candidates (in order of preference)
- Nominations/Referrals/Licensed Agents
- Center of influence/Observation
- Internet job boards/Social Media
- Quantity vs. Quality
- Group vs. Individual intervews
- Who am I to say the candidate can’t do it?
- What makes you so special?
The Philosophy of Hunting vs Fishing
Hunting you have 2 options:
- Stalk your prey
- Sit and wait for them to come to you
Fishing you must:
- Go to where the fish are biting
- Offer the right kind of bait
- Present the bait in an attractive manner
(If you listen to the podcast this will all make sense.)
Ron has co-authored 2 books. His second book Life-Defining Moments from Bold Thought Leaders will be released February 6th.
I started this quick podcast recap with the fact that I meet Ron on a company sponsored awards trip. I can’t for the life of me remember what the qualifications were or what we had done to get there. I just remember:
A) The fishing was outstanding. For the record I landed more fish those two days than Ron, and caught the biggest fish. (but who’s counting?)
B) That the friendships forged on trips like that are better than any stack of plaques or trophies.