Have you ever meet someone that you instantly knew was a true professional and that you were really going to enjoy collaborating with? Someone you knew was going to make you better? I first meet Jackie in early 2016. Her story of grit, determination and triumph inspired me then, and it continues to inspire me today!
Not only is Jackie inspiring, she is a world class professional and leader. In today’s episode Jackie breaks down where they VB industry started, how it got to where it is now, and where it is headed. I know I have never heard anyone outline the ever changing world of VB with the detail and insight that Jackie gives us in this interview.
Things I Learned From Jackie
- Why she sought out a full-commission sales position.
- How advertising sales set her up for success in VB.
- The biggest changes she has seen in the industry in the last 15 years.
- The interest in the marketplace for VB
- How changes in compensation structures have driven brokers and carriers into the VB space.
- The landscape is more competitive than ever before, and why that is a GOOD thing.
- Why technology changes are scary for traditional VB carriers.
- Why online enrollment is attractive to even small groups and why we MUST adapt now.
- Why technology isn’t enough.
- Why one-on-one enrollment will never stop being important.
- Why millennials are more interested in one-on-one enrollments that their older peers.
- HR professionals often don’t understand their benefit packages.
- The lessons she learned from being absent from her business for 6+ months.
- Where she needs to spend her day-to-day energy to best drive her business forward.
- What needed to happen to re-boot the business.
- Why brokers think what the VB agent does looks easy.
- How hard it is for a broker to go in-house with VB.
- What a blessing it is to get to reinvent yourself.
- The excitement of knowing that you can rebuild and use the lessons you have learned along the way.
- How Angela Duckworth’s book Grit crystalized many of Jackie’s life lessons.
- The lesson of having to work hard to stay competitive.
- How natural aptitude can get in the way of success.
- No matter how difficult, she never says it can’t be done.
- Why does there have to be a box to think outside of?
- Believing there is always a way to be successful if you put your heart and soul into it.
- Hard work and passion have contributed to her success much more than ability or aptitude.
- Why David Maister’s book Managing The Professional Service Team was foundational to her success in advertising and VB
- Why clients choose the professional service firm they do.
- Why firms keep their professional services firm.
- There is more than one way to give customer service.
- How does the client want you to deliver customer service?
Books We Talked About
Click on either book to find out more
What Keeps Her Motivated
- She loves solving problems
- She likes that the marketplace is constantly changing
- She is excited that product and rates don’t win the business
Jackie’s Advice To New Agents
- Talk to successful people
- Ask people smarter than yourself
- Look for the wider path
- The worst plan, beautifully executed, will provide success.
- Why answering emails is a path to disaster…
- Managing customer expectations