Curtis Ray – SIV #085 Shownotes
Don't Retire Broke!
Did you know that 99% of Americans retire on $50,000 per year or less? That’s why this week’s guest, Curtis Ray, wrote the book Everyone Ends Up Poor! Why Financial Planning Is All Backwards And How To Fix It. Curtis wrote it after his worse day ever.
I’ve had bad days. You’ve had bad days. I don’t know about you, but I’ve never lost more than $2 million in a single day. Curtis Ray has. He learned two major lessons from the experience. A) You can’t trust your business to take care of you. B) Pay yourself first.
Things Curtis And I Talked About
- Never attach yourself to money
- He did everything right and still lost $2 million
- You can’t trust your business
- 95% of businesses don’t make it to retiring the owner
- Having $750,000 in your retirement account will only pay you $30,000/year BEFORE TAXES!!!
- Less than 1% of Americans attain a $1 million portfolio
- Investment platforms vs. Retirement platforms
- Why is downsizing “normal?”
- Curtis’ definition of retirement: “Doing what you want, when you want, where you want, and with whom you want.
- The “Risk Pyramid”
- Normal retirement investing is: Sprint – Run – Jog – Walk It should be exactly the opposite.
- Build in security, not risk
- Slow, steady, simple, secure
- Deferring taxes on your retirement investments is not helpful. It might even be dumb.
Curtis' Billboard: pay yourself first
The Books We Talked About
As always: Click on the cover below to learn more or purchase through Amazon.
Senior Markets expert, Sylvia Gordon is dropping some serious knowledge on the SIV Tribe!
Don’t you dare miss it!