New-Agent First Year Survival
Join the 11%
Did you know that only 11% of new Insurance Agents survive their first two years in this industry? If you have already achieved that milestone, then this article may not be for you. (But you might enjoy a refresher.)
That first night after your initial interview:
- Do you remember how excited you were to bring these incredibly important products to the marketplace that so desperately needed them?
- Do you remember how the person that recruited you promised that they would help you succeed?
- Do you remember thinking, “There is no way a business owner could ever tell us no!”
- Do you remember dreaming about the freedom to attend your kid’s/grandkid’s soccer games and school plays without having to ask for time off?
- Do you remember the idea of having a six-figure renewal income? Money that just showed up in your bank account for doing your job in previous years?
- Do you remember looking yourself in the mirror and saying, “I can do this! I’m smart enough, I’m good enough, and gol’ darn it people like me!”
- Do you remember looking your spouse/significant other in the eye and promising them that you would work harder for yourself than you would ever work for someone else?”
- Do you remember being so pumped up you could hardly sleep? You were nervous, but you couldn’t wait to hit the ground running!!
What’s the reality?
- The marketplace yawned at your product.
- The person that recruited you is desperately trying to put food on their family’s table and is being pulled 1,000 different directions. They have basically told you, “If you get an appointment give me a call and I’ll come to close it for you.” So consequently you are dependent on your “trainer” and don’t know how to present to the business owner effectively.
- The business owners have found dozens of ways to tell you no including the dreaded, “Let me talk to my employees to see if anyone is interested.”
- Yeah, you have been to most of the soccer games, but not because you chose the game over work. Truth be told, you didn’t have anything else scheduled anyway…
- To get a renewal check you will have to still be around next year, and that doesn’t look very likely.
- You ARE smart enough, good enough, and gol’ darn it people DO like you. They just aren’t buying from you…..
- Again, truth be told, if you wrote down everything you do in a week, less than 15 hours are actually spent talking to people who can and will buy your product. You may “feel” busy, but very little of your time is actually spent in the sales process.
- Now you hit the snooze alarm 3 times and dread going out to get rejected. Your emotions are all over the map and you feel like you are letting your spouse/significant other down.
How do I know what you’re experiencing? I’ve been through most of those stages myself. I’ll never forget the day that all changed for me. About nine months into my VB career, my wife (the lovely Donna) sat my butt down and said, “I love you, I believe in you, I’m thrilled with the personal growth I have seen from you, but if you don’t start making real money, real soon, you are going to have to go get a “real job.” OUCH!!! I was letting her down, yet she was still proud of me! I decided that day that we would never, ever, ever, ever, have to have that conversation again. That day I decided to get help, and it forever changed my life!!!
If you aren’t where you want to be in your Voluntary Benefits career, you have two choices:
1) Keep doing what you are doing. – I’m sure that you will suddenly be sprinkled with magic, fairy dust that will allow you to be successful. Maybe not…..
2) Ask for help. – My suggestion? Invest a little money and time into your career to learn the tips, tricks, and techniques that will help you not just survive your first two years in this industry, but I am convinced will help you realize the dream you had when you first got started. I offer an affordable personal coaching program that I guarantee will pay for itself inside of 90 days. You have up to a full year after our last coaching session to ask for your money back, no questions asked!
Added bonus – I will let you test drive what a coaching session would look like! I offer a no-obligation, no pressure, 30-minute, completely free, coaching session. “Try it before you buy it,” so to speak. If you are interested, please click here to pick a time that works into both of our calendars!